Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Awkward Moment

I'm in a bit of a rush today, guys, but I wanted to share the Awkward Moment of the Day. I was at Clemson's Language and International Trade conference because my Italian teacher asked us to go listen to two speakers instead of coming to class today. The speakers were a little boring and there were sound problems, but that's not what I want to focus on. Nope, I want to talk about the girl I sat next to. Let's call her Jessica.

Jessica and I are in the same Italian class, and while we aren't really friends (Facebook or Real Life) we do know each other. She sits diagonal to me, we are partnered up in groups sometimes, we have chatted, etc. So it wasn't weird or awkward sitting next to her. No, the awkwardness came at lunch.

We broke for lunch, and Jessica and I got in line together and were talking and as we finished dishing up our plates I said something like, "You're the only one I recognize here, so I'm just gonna follow you, okay?"

And she's all like, "Yeah, cool."

So we walk downstairs to the tables and she's looking around and then turns to me with this grossed out look on her face and says, "You didn't want me to eat with you, did you?"

What. The. Hell.

No, I didn't, Jessica. I just wanted to follow you down here so I could ignore all the comfy chairs upstairs and sit down at a table by myself. Thanks.

I don't know what it is about me that repulsed her so much she couldn't offer to let me sit with her and her friends. I don't smell today. I'm dressed extra nicely for the conference. I smile--I'm nice to people. I have no history of random acts of violence and I don't rudely dominate conversations. What is it? Why?

So, yeah. That was awkward. See if I help her on group projects again, bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment