Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Chihayafuru


I haven't mentioned this before, because I am aware that I already seem like such a dork that I probably shouldn't push the envelope, but I like anime. Granted, I'm no diehard fan, but my freshman year of college was spent watching quite a number of anime. Ouran High School Host Club, Fruits Basket, Itazura na Kiss, Junjou Romantica, Inuyasha, Kimi ni Todoke, Zero no Tsukaima, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Loveless, Shugo Chara, Gakuen Alice, Card Captor Sakura, Skip Beat, Clannad, Vampire Knight, La Corda D'oro, Kaichou Wa Maid Sama, Full Moon wo Sagashite, and Full Metal Panic. That's a lot of anime to watch in a year at college.

In case you couldn't tell by that list, I'm kind of into the girly animes. I know they have a technical name (shoujou, maybe?) but I just call them girly. Even Inuyasha was too battle-y for me and I ended up fast-forwarding through the fighting parts and mainly just watching anything with Kouga in it. I would classify Chihayafuru as a girly anime, so if that's not your thing then steer clear.

Without giving away any spoilers, Chiahayafuru is the story of three childhood friends who grew up and grew apart, and are now trying to find their way. What brought them together was a card game called karuta, and that is what will hopefully reunite them. The protagonist and character who is mainly pushing for the reunion is Chiahaya, whose love for karuta has remained even while her friends have moved on to other hobbies.

NOW There Are Spoilers

Okay, there are several things I really liked about Chihayafuru. First of all, I never imagined that watching a show about a card game could be so intense! The creators do a really good job of making sure you understand how the game is played so you can follow along in suspense rather than be confused about the rules. They really got me invested in who was going to win and what mistakes Chihaya was making and how she could improve and omygodpleaseletherwin

The players' movement is a big part of what makes the show so suspenseful. The objective of karuta is to listen to the first part of a poem being read, and to touch the second part on the board in front of you before your opponent does. That is obviously a very simplified version, but you get the gist. The players move with sharp, sweeping motions that utilize their whole bodies, which helps to make karuta much more interesting than if they were playing, say, rummy, which would get old around episode 2.

The show made me want to learn how to play karuta, which is saying something. Of course, I won't. I have no time to play, no money to buy cards, and no friends to play with. That is discounting the biggest obstacle: I wouldn't understand the japanese poems.

Another aspect of Chihayafuru that I really enjoyed was the art. I am unable to watch an anime, no matter how good the plot may be, if I don't like it visually. It just doesn't work for me. Chiahayfuru was beautiful. The characters were very detailed--I especially noticed that Chihaya is drawn with lips. Isn't that kind of unusual for an anime? Maybe not but it felt unusual. Or maybe unique would be a better word. Taichi was my favorite character visually because, well...you know. I got the inappropriate feelings towards an animated character. Just look at him!


Who wouldn't get squiggles in their stomach after looking at that?

The characters were another thing I really enjoyed about the plot. They were all likable, but had flaws that were realistic and are each dealing with their own personal struggles within the major karuta-reauniting conflict. Chihaya is too oblivious to anything other than karuta (including Taichi's feelings, damn her) and has to deal with the unfair amount of attention which is placed on her sister. Taichi is pressured by his family to be perfect, a little spoiled and used to getting things his own way, and has to deal with his feelings for Arata both as a rival for Chihaya's love and as a friend. Arata's grandfather tragically passed away while Arata was playing a karuta tournament, plunging him into depression and guilt. And that's only the main characters! All in all, I would say that they are very well-developed.

My only real complaint would be that there is a lot of recap in the show before you move on to the new plot devices. Which is fine, you can always use a refresher on how the characters are doing in their matches, but it does get a little annoying sometimes. Just sayin'.

But what I like most about Chihayafuru is that there is going to be a season two

Hey, that just rhymed! 

Don't judge me.



No comments:

Post a Comment