Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

J.K. Rowling Makes Me Nervous


Okay, so J.K. Rowling is Made of Awesome. There is no denying it. Harry Potter is beautiful and Real For Me and one of the things that has truly touched and shaped my life in so many ways. That being said, I'm nervous, because she's...writing! Yes, writing! I am so incredibly excited but also really, really nervous. I'm nervous simply because it's Not Harry Potter. Whatever she's writing, it's completely different--it's for adults, for one thing. And she's already said that if she were to write again it wouldn't be anything involving witches and wizards or anything because she'd be worried about drawing too much from the Harry Potter Universe. It's going to be completely different.

This makes me nervous for two reasons. First of all, I am so in love with the Harry Potter series, the way she wrote it, her plot, her characters, the world--everything. BUT...but what if it's not so much her that I love as Harry Potter? What if she can't write anything besides HP to save her life and everything else is crap? That would be so depressing. I mean, the book is guaranteed to be a bestseller so it'll be a success for her no matter what, but I would hate to stop loving her writing like I do now.

My second concern is that even if the next book is fantastic, what if it just isn't good enough? A tweet from Nathalie Summers in this article sums it up best when she says, "J.K. Rowling announcing a new book is almost like God announcing a follow-up to the Bible." And it's true. How can anything compare, no matter how good? I guess overall I'm just worried that I'll be disappointed, which is completely irrational and a little bit selfish of me because I should be optimistically supporting her no matter what, but that's how I feel.

Either way, whatever book J.K. Rowling comes out with, I will buy it and probably read it in one night. I am extremely interested in seeing her write something completely different from Harry Potter and am crossing my fingers for the best.

On a side note, if Pottermore doesn't open up soon I'm going to drown in a pool of my own tears and sweat.

Keeping with the Harry Potter vein, there is some great artwork y'all should go check out. The artist, Viria, has some amazing artwork for Harry Potter but also for a couple different fandoms as well. I think I saw some for Dr. Who and one for Bones. I love her style and she captured the Ginny in my head perfectly. She also draws a lot of the Marauders time period, which I love, because we just need to see more of the marauders!

No comments:

Post a Comment