Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

This Means War


No Spoilers! I saw This Means War this weekend. It was...all right. The premise is that two spy friends both fall in like with the same girl and thus compete to woo her. They use every resource they have at the agency to spy on the other and sabotage dates. There is also the peripheral story of a bad guy (who knows what he did? Not me) that the two spies are supposed to be dealing with. They kind of put him on the back burner though, after all, the girl is much more important than our nation's safety. 

The three main characters were Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine, and Tom Hardy. I love Reese and Chris, so seeing them was lovely, as Chris rocks my socks off. This is the first film I've seen with Tom Hardy, and he wasn't my favorite character, but it was a romantic comedy so I wasn't really looking for stellar acting anyway. 

This is a good movie for high schoolers. It's not very sophisticated, has some low level humor (a predictable paintball-to-crotch shot, for example), but has a make-out scene that'll still make them feel like they're seeing a grown up movie.

The comedy part of the 'romantic comedy' wasn't present. I hardly laughed out loud at all, instead finding myself more smiling and bouncing. And when I did laugh it wasn't a compliment to the movie. There is a scene towards the end that endangers Chelsea Handler's life that just cracked me up. I just saw it last night, but the details are already starting to get fuzzy--there was nothing gripping about the film. I really didn't care who Reese ended up with, or whether the bad guy got caught, or whether the guys were still friends. 

I feel like I would have enjoyed this movie more if at least one of its aspects was done better. The plot was just all over the place so that no part was fully developed. Like the spy bit, for instance. I was at least looking forward to a bit of action in the beginning, but I found it badly edited, not comedic, and definitely not thrilling. Or they could have made me care about the romance more, but they didn't.

Overall, I wasn't expecting much going in, but I was expecting better than I got. This Means War does not have my recommendation. If someone wants to go see it, you should sneak out and see The Chronicle instead.

These pictures of Reese With Her Spoon are ten times more hilarious than This Means War. You're welcome.

In other news, I get to go home next weekend! Free laundry, here I come!!

In preparation for Lent, my friends and I are baking a disgusting amount of sweets to eat before Wednesday. I have to eat a whole Family Size bag of York Peppermint Patties by myself--wish me luck!

By the way, just in case you are in any way interested in my love life, K has texted me 5 times since Friday. He's determined.

I am listening to Foundations by Kate Nash. There is an awesome dance to the song, choreographed by Kate Jablonski, that you should go watch. It is amazing, unique, and refreshing. I've been watching and rewatching all her videos for weeks because I can't get enough of her choreography. So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment